Read this before buying online to make sure you can get a refund
Buying stuff is fun, but sometimes it just doesn’t go as planned. Your purchase is defective or does not meet your expectations. Don’t worry, you can always return it for a full refund, right?
Did you know that Costco’s “100% Satisfaction Guarantee” statement can actually be taken at face value? You can bring back anything from a dead plant to partially eaten food! Tap or click to hear Kim tell you about it.
Not all companies make it easy to return items. Policies vary from online retailer to online retailer, and it’s important to know your rights as a customer.
Read this before making your next online purchase
Online shopping has been on the rise since the start of the pandemic and with that comes more returns and exchanges. The Better Business Bureau has some tips to make returning your online purchases easier:
- Check the store’s return, exchange and refund policies. This may vary from state to state, and you can check your state’s laws through this page on FindLaw.com. If a store doesn’t have a return policy, buy elsewhere.
- Always read the fine print. There may be restocking fees or penalties for returns and exchanges. Shipping can be paid by the store, the seller or yourself. High return costs can make a purchase too risky.
- Is the product sold by a third-party seller? This could result in different policies than buying directly from the store – be sure to check the seller’s policies.
- Check reviews from other buyers. In addition to knowing more about the article, you can get information about the feedback experience from someone who has had it. However, not all reviews are reliable. Tap or click here to spot fake Amazon reviews.
- What payment method do you use? Return policies may not work for everyone. For example, a product you purchased directly may be easier to return than one you purchased using a buy now, pay later service. Tap or click here for more reasons why you should reconsider using BNPL plans.
- Save all your documentation. You will probably need your confirmation number and your receipt to give to customer service in the event of a problem.
- Keep the packaging and all documents/labels supplied with the product. Although you can sometimes return items without the original packaging, this is not always the case. And you’ll want to return the product as complete as possible to avoid rejection or penalties.
- Shop or post office or pick up? You may be able to return certain items to a physical store, but check if this is allowed for a particular item.
- Contact customer service if needed. It’s not as simple as finding a phone number and calling. First, you may not be able to speak to a live representative and will be stuck with a chatbot. Second, you have to be very careful when trying to find a contact number. Scammers set up fake websites and contact information that can lead to big trouble for you and your accounts. Tap or click here to find any customer service number.
Before making an online purchase, you may want to check BBB.org for advice and information to avoid fraudulent sellers and retailers.
Here’s help for five wildly popular retailers
We don’t want you to wander the internet to find the information you need, so we’ve compiled a list of five of the biggest online retailers in the United States, along with links to important pages on their sites.
You might also like: What are Amazon Mystery Boxes? Is it worth the money?